Go Back to Archive
Now Hiring: Grants Associate
FOUNDATION BACKGROUND: Incorporated in 1948, The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation is dedicated toimproving the lives of residents
Washington metropolitan area. The Foundation has three grant cycles annually, awarding on average $15 to $18 million to qualifying 501(c)(3) charitable
organizations in the areas of Arts and Humanities, Community Services, Education, Health and Environment.
POSITION TITLE: Grants Associate
PURPOSE: To assist the Foundation and Grants Management Team with grants, administrative and communications tasks. This position shares
responsibility for coverage of the reception area(s), kitchen and conference rooms. This position reports to the Associate Director of Grants Management.
- Assist the Associate Director of Grants Management in maintaining the accuracy and integrity of all data entered into the database (GIFTSOnline).
- Serve as frontline HelpDesk for GIFTS, and as a core member of the Foundation’s Information Technology team.
- Liaison to BlackBaud for maintenance, support and trainings.
- Ensure GIFTs and IGAM documentation are current and create GIFTs trainings.
- Assist applicants through the grant process from application to approval to subsequent reporting and payment procedures.
- Respond to requests for Foundation guidelines and annual reports via mail, fax or e-mail, as appropriate.
- Develop and run database queries and reports as requested by Foundation staff.
- Verify grantee IRS tax identification numbers and status for monthly grant payments.
- Distribute monthly grant payout list to staff.
- Photocopy, scan and distribute monthly grant payments.
- Work with assigned staff to perform data entry and coding of proposals for the three deadlines each year. Notify applicant if proposals have insufficient
information, per Foundation guidelines.
- Assist in corresponding with grantees (award notifications or denials, declarations, and other letters), as directed by the Associate Director
of Grants Management.
- Track the receipt and processing of grantee reports. Be able to contact grantees diplomatically via mail, email or phone regarding overdue requirements.
Respond to inquiries about grantee requirements.
- Support administrative staff to create, assemble and maintain central grant files (original proposals, award letters, acknowledgements, reject
letters, declarations, IRS documents, reports, monthly payment letters and corresponding checks).
- Work with the Associate Director of Grants Management on the creation and distribution of the Board Book and related materials.
- Produce Grants Approved reports for distribution to Foundation Board, the Foundation Center and others.
- Assist the Associate Director of Grants Management with producing the annual auditor’s report.
- Serve as a member of the PEAK Grantmaking Washington, DC Chapter, to represent the Foundation, stay current on trends and improve the internal
- Provide coverage of the reception and kitchen area on assigned days, at lunch and other assigned times, which includes: receiving and processing
incoming and outgoing mail, courier and shipping requests; reviewing messages from the general e-mail box daily, providing daily maintenance
of office equipment, including ensuring machines are turned on and off and checking the paper supply for the printers and copiers; submitting
and tracking service requests; ordering and maintaining office supplies, equipment and telephones; maintaining the kitchen area, including
loading and unloading dishwasher.
- Assist with conference room scheduling and provide logistical support for internal and external meetings.
- Provide back-up logistical support for staff trainings.
- Prepare check requests and process invoices, as assigned.
- Assist with set-up food, beverage and other supplies for Board meetings. Serve refreshments at Board meetings, as assigned.
- Ensure that organizational policy and procedure manuals are current.
- Participate in Administrative Staff meetings and serve as a resource to other administrative staff.
Communications, Program and other Special Projects
- Assist the Associate Director of Grants Management with producing the annual report of grants.
- Provide research, writing, and editorial assistance.
- Maintain the Foundation website, Twitter and other Foundation communications tools.
- Serve as lead on internal graphic design projects.
- Work with designated Program Team member on the Spotlight feature for the website.
- Conduct research and data collection, including circulation and retention of news articles, The Chronicle of Philanthropy and
others. Assist with the preparation of position papers and evaluations of Foundation priority areas and significant topics, as assigned.
- Participate on office teams and other ongoing projects, as assigned.
- Answer and respond to all incoming phone calls.
- Review messages from the general voice- and e-mail boxes daily.
- Greet visitors entering the Foundation office.
- Maintain appearance of front office area and conference rooms.
Working collaboratively as a member of the Cafritz Foundation team
- Participate actively in staff meetings.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist or relieve other administrative staff in their ongoing duties, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years commensurate experience in a nonprofit organization.
- Complete understanding of Microsoft Excel and Word, with working knowledge of mail merges required.
- Experience with BlackBaud GIFTS Online and IGAM, or similar grant-tracking database required.
- Basic knowledge of, or willingness to learn, website content maintenance.
- Must be detail oriented, able to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks.
- Must have excellent time-management and organizational skills; a sense of humor, diplomacy and discretion; critical thinking skills and judgment.
- Willingness to take initiative; high level of self-motivation and flexibility; and have the ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the Foundation.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, benefits, vacation, health and pension plan. Salary commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please email a cover letter and resume attn: Ms. Miyesha Perry, Associate Director of Grants Management to email@example.com.
For best consideration, apply by Friday, August 24th, 2018. Please, no telephone inquiries
2018 Grants Associate (140 KB)